12/30/2013 @ 2:25PM
At Digital Book World, we track a weekly list of ebook best-sellers. I’ve counted up how many times each publisher has had a hit and, bingo, an end-of-year ranking of which publishers had the most success publishing ebooks in 2013:
- 1. Penguin Random House — 478 best-sellers*
- 2. Hachette — 258 best-sellers
- 3. Self-published — 99 best-sellers [emphasis added]
- 4. HarperCollins — 91 best-sellers
- 5. Simon & Schuster — 72 best-sellers
See the rest of the top ebook publishers in 2013.
Aside from the dominance of Penguin Random House, the obvious story is the success of self-publishing. Indie authors not only managed to hit the list 99 times in 2013, they managed four No. 1 best-sellers:Best-Selling Ebooks in 2013: Safe Haven, Inferno Lead Pack.